Happy New Year! To start off 2014, I thought I'd share this amazing Chocolate Pudding recipe that I whipped up last night to celebrate the new year. It's a very rich and indulgent treat, so look away if you started that diet/detox today - this is strictly for the chocolate lovers only.
- 3 medium free range eggs, separated
- 200g quality dark chocolate, chopped / broken into small chunks
- 185ml double cream
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp white rum
1. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks and place to one side. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of hot water and allow to melt slowly, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and gradually add the beaten yolks, mixing until you have a smooth texture again. Fold through the cream and white rum, and stir until everything is combined.
2. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and whisk again to mix it in. Fold a small amount of the egg white mixture into the chocolate to slacken it, then quickly and light fold in the remainder. Continue mixing until there are no streaks or pockets of egg white visible.
3. Pour the mixture equally into four ramekins or cups, cover with cling flim and chill in the fridge until firm.
These Chocolate Puddings will keep in the fridge for around 2 days and you can experiment with using different spirits or liqueurs if you don't fancy rum (I've also made these with whisky in the past and they're to die for). For something non-alcoholic, you can try adding some strong espresso instead for an extra kick.
[Recipe adapted from Easy Living magazine]