21/03/2013

Homemade Tomato & Basil Soup


Apparently Spring is on its way, but the weather here in England is firmly holding onto Winter for the time being.  For this reason alone, I decided to make a batch of tomato and basil soup to take to work this week.  When it's freezing cold and dreary looking outside, a warming bowl of soup has a tendency to make everything seem much better (or so my mother always used to say!).

Makes around 4 portions

Ingredients:-
- 1kg ripe tomatoes
- A large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 50g butter
- 300g onions, chopped
- Olive oil

How to:-
1.  Halve the tomatoes and spread them out on a baking tray.  Drizzle a little olive oil over them and then roast them for about 30 minutes or until softened at 220C / Gas 6.
2.  Heat the butter in a large pan and stir in the chopped onions.  Sweat over a low heat until they're soft.
3.  Add the vegetable stock to the onions, stir for about 5 minutes and then add the roasted tomatoes.
4.  Remove from the heat and transfer everything into a blender. 
5.  Add the fresh basil leaves, 3tbsp olive oil and blend until smooth.
6.  Season to taste and serve with warm crusty rolls.

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, I am so fed up with this weather, I need sunshine to warm up my bones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so damn good, I definitely need to make more soups at home! I've been addicted to pastas recently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so easy, I made tomato soup a few months ago and you had to blanch the tomatoes and peel them, which was a bloody nightmare! I'll definitely need to try this method next time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are loads of ways to make tomato soup - I have tried blanched recipes in the past and honestly can't tell the difference in taste to ones that just roast them! xx

      Delete