I decided to try out something different to satisfy my sweet tooth, and made these Norwegian Cardamom and Lemon Cookies. I had no idea what to expect from this combination of flavours, but they're really good!
- 225g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 250g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 3tsp ground cardamom or
1 heaped tsp cardamom seeds, ground in a pestle and mortar
1. Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F / Gas Mark 5. Line 2 large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Using a mixer or an electric hand whisk, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the flour, almonds and cardamom until the mixture comes together to form a stiff dough.
3. Divide into 24 equal sized balls and place 12 on each baking tray, leaving enough space in between to allow for spreading. Press each cookie with a cookie stamp or the bottom of a glass to flatten.
4. Bake 1 tray at a time for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies are a pale golden brown. Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Store in an airtight tin and eat within 7 days.
[Recipe: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book Of Baking by Si King and Dave Myers]