When it comes to carb cravings, sometimes only a big bowl of pasta will do. This simple classic Italian dish is quick and easy to prepare, and oh-so comforting if you're suffering from the winter (or any other) blues. You can use ready made pesto but have a go at making your own because you really can taste the difference and it makes the dish that extra bit more special.
- 2 gloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 50g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese
- 50g pine nuts, lightly toasted if desired
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil leaves
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil
- 450g fresh tagliatelle
- extra pine nuts and parmesan to serve if desired
1. Put the garlic, pine nuts, parmesan and basil leaves into a food processor or blender and blend on high until almost smooth. With the blender running, then slowly add the olive oil until your pesto appears relatively thick.
2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the tagliatelle. Cook to packet instructions and drain, but keep about 100ml of the pasta water.
3. In a large bowl toss together the pesto, tagliatelle and pasta water until everything is mixed evenly.
4. Serve with some extra toasted pine nuts and grated parmesan if wanted.